Charles Bannerman Phillips 1848 - 1931
Charles Bannerman Phillips was born in Bloomsbury, Middlesex, in 1848 and was educated at Winchester College from 1860 - 67 and then, from 1867 - 72, at New College, Oxford. He returned to Winchester College in 1872 as a master and became the housemaster at Culverlea House (Now Sergeant's) in 1883. The 1881 census returns show Phillips to be living at 12 Kingsgate Street, Winchester, with his wife Gertrude. Ill-health meant that he had to retire in 1900 and he devoted his leisure time to making a series of chalk drawings of Winchester and later Guildford and neighbourhood.
Examples of his artwork are also held by: the British Museum; Hampshire County Council; National Monuments Record, Swindon; and Winchester College.
Photograph courtesy of Winchester College.